Approximately 1 cup of Hydrated Water Kefir Grains
¼ cup sugar per quart of water – ORGANIC! (Kefir grains are usually sensitive and do much better with organic sugar)
- Dissolve the sugar in small amount of hot water.
- When the sugar is dissolved, fill the rest of the jar with cool filtered water, let it cool of until it reaches room temperature.
- Add the hydrated water kefir grains
- Cover with paper towel, cheesecloth, or coffee filter and use a rubber band to tight it up.
Leave on the counter for 24-48 hours.
- You don’t want to leave it for more than 48h because because you risk starving the grains
- Strain the grains through a mesh strainer into another Jar (avoid using metal strainers) .
- At this point you start-over dissolving more sugar in water, adding cool water and adding Water Kefir Grains.
- To flavor the water kefir you can add a little bit of fruit juice, ginger or tea to your drained water kefir
- Transfer to an air tight bottle.
- To carbonate the water kefir leave it out for one more day or two (without the grains).
- Refrigerate and consume within a week.