Ingredients (for 1 liter):
Brine: 2 cups of basic brine and 1 teaspoon of vinegar
Vegetables: 1lb of cucumbers and 1 grape leaf for crispness (optional)
Spices (optional, use what is available):
A few sprigs of Thyme
A few small hot peppers
~2-3 medium cloves of garlic, peeled, & roughly chopped (to taste)
~1 tsp whole dill seed
~1/2 tsp whole coriander seed
~1/4 tsp whole mustard seed
~1/4 tsp whole peppercorns
~1/4 tsp fennel seed
~1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Stir in the vinegar in basic brine and let it cool off.
- Add the grape leaf into the jars.
- Cut the cucumbers in spears or slice them at an angle and put them in a jar,
- Add a bit of pickling spices to taste.
- Pour the brine over the vegetables so they are covered by it, living at least one inch of head-space from the rim of the jar.
- Cap the jar tightly and allow to sit at 18-30 C, for up to 5-7 days, depending on your preference. The longer they ferment, the sourer they become.
- During the earliest stages of fermentation carbon dioxide is released. Check your jars once or twice a day to see if the lids are building up pressure. If you cannot Quickly and carefully “burp” your jar by slightly unscrewing the lid, allowing a bit of gas to escape, and screw it back on quickly.
- Move to cold storage.